I have unshakable faith in children. They always show me the way. ♥

Sunday, June 8, 2008

not too shy this time...

So, I have this former student. Ryeanna. She and I have this really strong connection. First of all, we share a similar sense of humor, and second of all, she is an old soul. She just gets things in a way that some adults don't. One day, I will repost here some old writing that I've done about her and her absolute brilliance as a human being. [NOTE TO READERS: Watch for these reposts. Seriously. Ryeanna is a gift to the world.]

When she was in my class, Ryeanna used to call my cell phone number (I give families my cell number so they can get in touch with me outside of school) and sometimes she'd just call to talk to me. Even though she's no longer in my class, she still does it sometimes and I just treasure those conversations. Last summer, when Ryeanna would call, we'd talk about her little sister, Milena, because we were both hoping Milena would be in my class this year. [She is.] But I didn't get the chance to talk with Milena then because she felt too shy to talk to me.

This year, every once in a while, Milena will bring up the fact that her older sister calls me on the phone sometimes and last summer when she did it, she felt too shy to talk to me.

Well, today?

Ryeanna called. We talked for a little while and then she said, "Milena wants to talk to you," and Milena got on the phone and told me about 9485747 different things that she was thinking about and wanted to know what I was doing and what I had for dinner and was I ready for field day and did I remember the bananas (bandanas!) that we painted to wear for field day and was I bringing extra water bottles and was it my bedtime yet? ♥

Nope. Guess she's not too shy to talk to me on the phone anymore. *happy sigh*

No comments: