I have unshakable faith in children. They always show me the way. ♥

Thursday, September 11, 2008

turns of phrase...

I've taken to use the expression, "oooh, shiny!" to describe my state of mind sometimes when I'm feeling distractable. I also use it to describe the easy way that young children can become derailed or distracted from something (both in positive and negative ways). I don't actually know from where I adopted this phrase, it's just sort of become part of my vernacular, and one that my copilot teases me about when I am acting that way.

Today, when Lamar was sharing items from his Artifact Bag (a get-to-know-you project), he took out a little silver medallion and Anisha actually said:

"Oooh! Shiny!"

It took all I had not to burst out laughing.

Guess the original phrase must have come from a first grader, huh?

NOTE: All names used on this blog are pseudonyms.

1 comment:

Heidi Fessenden said...

I was on a walk with a sweet little dog last night, and he was having a very "oooh, shiny" time of it with all the people and traffic and cars. It was taking all of his attention to just keep walking, so much so that he disregarded other dogs going by (which is apparently unusual behavior for him). It was so small-child-like that I smiled. So your post was very appropriate for me.