I have unshakable faith in children. They always show me the way. ♥

Thursday, August 21, 2008

unlikely skills

I can pee really, really quickly.

As in: the entire process accomplished (including the recommended 12-15 second hand-washing) in under a minute.

It has to be because of teaching. Ninety percent of the time, I am the only adult in the classroom. Sometimes, near the end of a long morning or a long afternoon, I peek out into the hallway to see if there are any other teachers that can be with my class while I run to the rest room. If and when I do find someone to help, I don't want to take advantage of their flexibility and kindness, so I go very quickly. Well, my friends, years of this has really honed my skills.

If using the rest room were an Olympic event, I'm quite sure I could take at least a silver medal.

So, why do I mention this today? Well, I was in a coffee shop today and ended up in a line of three women waiting for the rest room. As soon as I was finished, both women looked surprised and said, "Wow, you're quick!"

I said, "I have to be; I teach elementary school."

They both laughed and then I went on my merry way. It did make me think, though, that it is a sort of unlikely skill that I have because I'm a teacher. I wonder what other such skills I've cultivated without realizing it...

1 comment:

Katie said...

I know another skill--- speed eating without getting heartburn or indigestion. In a 30-minute break, you have to bring the kids to the cafeteria, pee, make a few "personal" phone calls (like make your doctor's appointments), mandatorily check your work (and shhhh, but personal, too) emails, eat, wash/clean up, and go get the kids at EXACTLY 12:42 or something crazy like that so you don't become "that teacher" who's a slacker!

As I type this, I realize it's not a single event (speed eating). It should be the mother of all-- the decathalon! And you'd probably win the gold!!!